|HOME||ABOUT ETHICA||OUR WOMEN||NEWS & EVENTS||HOW TO HELP||DONATE||CONTACT US|
|Links and Resources|
|Scarves & Ponchos|
|Hats & Gloves|
|Bags & Purses|
|Baby & Childrens|
|As seen in...|
Ethica accessories, the fair trade company of Mary MacKillop International, is a not-for-profit organisation endorsed by Fair traders of Australia (FToA) specialising in quality products.
We give marginalised and impoverished women in Peru the opportunity to earn a fair income by making products to sell in Australia and paying a fair wage for those products.
It is a strategy for poverty alleviation and sustainable development that maintains the dignity of the women and teaches them skills for the future.
Many of the women we seek to help would be unemployed without this scheme.
The Sisters have established four groups around Peru that make products for Ethica accessories. Two of these are in the outskirts of the capital, Lima, and two more are in remote mountain areas.
To learn more about the communities we support, visit Our Women groups page.
Our aim is to provide work for as many people as possible. We:
* believe it is more sustainable to give marginalised people the tools and resources to help themselves, rather than giving them a handout and recognise their desire to work.
* concentrate on creating employment for women who have previously struggled to find a means of earning an income.
* pay a fair price for the products.
* trade with concern for the social and economic well-being of the women with whom we work.
* maintain long-term relationships with our producers based on solidarity, trust and mutual respect.
The Sisters who live in Peru and organise the co-operative workshops ensure that everybody gets a fair chance to produce goods.
The women are trained until their products reach an export quality, and are paid on the spot a fair wage. This money is used for food, medicine, electricity and other basic needs.
We have achieved great success in seeing the women regain their dignity and confidence by participating in the workshops.
Ethica accessories started as a small group but has grown to involve and transform the lives of hundreds of women.